Tuesday 18 September 2012

Round 2!


Back again! I can’t believe it’s already been almost 3 weeks since I’ve gotten here. Where has the time gone?!
So! The last place I left off was the interview, which was forever ago. Oops! I guess I’ll talk about my work a little then. But first I’ll tell you guys my schedule just for fun.

Monday:         Marketing 9-12:30
                       Internship 1-5
Tuesday:         Internship 9-5
Wednesday:    Internship 9-3:30
                        LTI class 4:30-6
Thursday:        Internship 9-3:30
                        Communications 4:30-8
and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are free!

Back to work: I work in the marketing/sales department at a super nice hotel which is right on the harbor. It’s pretty surreal walking from the train to work every day and seeing the Sydney Opera House. Anyways, I help mostly with administrative tasks. I wrote down everything I did for the first couple of days just so you guys can know all the SUPER exciting things I do!
Day 1: First thing I did was added people to the QG and QW(another branch of our hotel which is pretty close, it’s closer to The Rocks) newsletter, first name and email to be more exact. Then, I was given a fairly lengthy list of companies that had recently had meetings or conferences at our competitor hotels and looked up the companies head office address and phone number and put all that into a spread sheet. After that I made a fact sheet for another branch of our hotel. My last task of the day was updating the “What’s on in Sydney” page on the Quay Grand and Quay West websites! (If you want to check them out, then go to http://www.mirvachotels.com/quay-grand-suites-sydney andscroll over "special deals and click on "ECQ's makeover turns 1"  also, scroll over "Visitors Guide: Sydney" and click on "What's on in Sydney") I know that it might not be major, but it feels really awesome that something I did is going to be seen by people and might help out!
On days 2 and 3: The thing that took up most of those two days was updating the room rates for company rates and whole sale rates for the rooms at the QG and QW. It was lots of basic addition and data input and messing up and getting new information and having to redo it a couple times. But it was kind of cool! My boss told me that it got checked over before they sent it in and I did it perfectly. Woo!
I also made a flyer for the spring conferencing incentive, updated the website for the spring conferencing incentive and made a new web page for the new candy and dessert buffet/bar that starts this month. (if you want to check that one out then go to http://www.mirvachotels.com/quay-grand-suites-sydney and scroll over "Dining" and click on ECQ's couture candy and dessert bar).
Beyond that, I’ve updated a number of web pages, created a couple, updated the newsletter, more data entry and whatnot.
Also! This past week I got put in charge of the VIP club for the bar/restaurant/hotel! It’s still relatively small, has about 80 members, but it’s really cool! I know that I got put in charge of it because my boss doesn’t exactly have time to, but it’s still exciting that she trusts me to do it! I clean up the data base that’s already present and add people that email in their information. When they email the info in, I add them to the spreadsheet and email them so we can figure out the payment for the membership. Then, when they pay I send them the letter welcoming them along with their key ring with their VIP member number on it.
One of the incentives they get for joining is a birthday voucher (which is $20 to the bar) so when the birthdays are coming up I make the voucher and send them a letter with it as well.
So I feel kind of important!
I also sometimes run errands, yesterday I got to go on a nice 40 minute walk (round trip) to pick up a banner, it was nice to get some fresh air during work! Today I actually went and picked up a blueberry cheesecake for a coworker who just had a birthday! And I got to eat some. AND I got to go to a wine tasting at work today! Wine is still not my favorite, but who’s going to pass on free wine and cheeses and crackers? Not me! Today was a good day. :D

I finally went out with some friends to a bar last Friday (the 7th) to a bar where I got a pretty yummy margarita!  Then the next day went to Manly beach! (I know what you’re thinking, “Bree, was it ... MANLY?! and no, it was not “manly” you corn balls). But it was very pretty! And cold and windy, but very pretty! Then the next day we went to Bondi Beach for the Festival of the Winds! It was a huge kite festival! (Which was way cooler than it sounds). It was a little warmer and the beach was gorgeous! It was super crowded but that was to be expected. I can’t wait until it’s a little warmer so I can go swimming!

Last week was pretty uneventful, just work and school. Food chopping and eating is going better though! Found some simple meals, I ate pasta with meat sauce 3 nights in a row, and plan on doing that again this week, starting tonight. Who needs variety! I also finally started bringing my lunch, and yes mom I’m eating fruit! I bought some cuties (the Australian version, which are basically the same) and I bought some apples. But don’t be too proud, I also bought ice cream and tons of tim tams. :D

On Friday, the 14th, we had a trip to Cockatoo Island, which was cool and weird. It used to have a prison on it and was a ship yard and stuff. Now they have abstract art exhibits in random places. But there were some really cool ones! I’ll put pictures soon. Oh, also, there were creepy people that were wearing plastic animal masks and stuff, it was so weird. And I saw some pirates (they were fake though, don’t worry).

I didn’t eat any more weird stuff this time, so nothing fun on that front.

But things are going well! Starting to have a good routine down and still have lots of things to look forward to! I’m trying to decide what I want to do and which trips I can afford to do as well. Spring break is coming up and I’m hoping to go up north so I can see the Great Barrier Reef! Fingers crossed!

Okay, I’m getting hungry. Time to go cook up so meat and pasta!

LAST THING! In 5 hours it turns to my lovely sister’s 25th birthday! KATIE! YOU GET TO CELEBRATE FOR 41 HOURS! Get ready for it! I already texted you but your card is going to be late (surprise surprise) BUT, I am half way around the world. So there’s my excuse this year!:D BUT! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope it’s a great one! And I look forward to skyping the family on Saturday (it’ll be Sunday for me, but yeah) and seeing everyone! Bummed I’m missing the barbecue, but have an extra drink for me! Love you guys!

I hope everything stateside is going well!
Until next time. :)



Here are some random pictures! I haven't plugged in my camera in a while so these are just some randoms from a couple weeks ago. Enjoy!

 going out with the girls!
 beef pie thing!
 different view of the Sydney Opera House!

My favorite part of the zoo!

Flowers at the Royal Botanical Gardens with the Opera House and Harbor Bridge in the background :)


4 comments:

  1. Another fun filled reading experience, thanks sweetie! Did you put the last picture comment in "Wingdings" font on purpose? I copied and pasted it into a Word document and changed it into Arial to read it. Still missing you! Love Dad again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say that I checked out all of the links you recommended. It was way cool to know that you had worked on them. They were all fun to see. Wow $49 for a dessert and candy bar...AND a free glass of bubbly to boot! It was a tiny bit sexist though...Girls day...hens night...baby shower...what Aussie guys don't do dessert and candy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetie, You are going to be sorely missed at Katie's barbecue tomorrow. Apparently Erik has to work, bummer. I hope that your brother will show up. Other possibilities are Dianne and Maria. I will not be entirely surprised if Kyrene and Nick stop by. Aunt Chris and? Jill are expected in the afternoon. Rumor has it that Zach will be making wings. I made up a mega batch of the rub to prepare for that effort. Mom and I went to Costco for chicken (Katie wants BBQ chicken). I offered to pick her up and return her when she is done but she said that if need be she will just crash in her old bed. Do you have a tentative schedule fr our Skype session? On a different topic, I signed it to a health web site to track calories, fats, carbohydrates and sodium among many other questionable forms of intake. It is called living strong (http://www.livestrong.com/dashboard/) I am targeting to loose 2 pounds a week but I don't really know what I am doing so who knows what will happen. It is interesting to be aware of the calories in some of the things we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this a bit late but am enjoying all of the things you do. Brings back memories of my time in Australia. Did I mention my favorite beer was VB? Brought some of it home with me. There are tons of places to see on the reef. Do a one-day resort dive. You get to scuba dive on the reef but it is really safe. They teach you every thing you need to know in 1 day. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete